Friday 17 April 2015

Happy 33! (not exactly sure about happy anot though)

This group always gathers for a dinner at the beginning of this year but I guess the new year kept everyone busy and dinner was delayed and combined till my birthday meet.

It seems that everyone played a vital part in this group. We were missing Yan, Jo, David and Yvon for this dinner and the dynamics were so different. Things seem more calm. Everyone was quieter. I still prefer the noisy them.

We were supposed to have dinner at this korean joint but seeing the crowd and the thinking about the aftermath bbq stench on our clothes made us change our decision. 1. The restaurant is freaking crowded with lots of young people. 2. It is very smelly. I personally have a thing about food smell lingering on clothes and hair. I will go mad! Anyway, we went into the restaurant and walked out in a minute. I was pretty mentally ready to go mad after dinner. I mean it's true that I cannot take the aftermath smell but I can't force my unwillingness onto the rest ma. Heng ah. Lionel didn't like it as well. He made this comment 'We cannot party after this dinner leh.' Haha. So this young boy was ready to go all out to party! Haha.

So we cancelled our reservation and went to this small french or italian or dunno what western restaurant. Expensive food and not worth it. Bec called before we went over and asked if they have a table for 6 now. They said yes and so we went over. We reached within 2 minutes la and waited for like at least 45 minutes to an hour for our food. Well, they had only one poor chef so that explained the long wait. The UNACCEPTABLE thing is that the poor lonely chef walked out from the kitchen and told us 'I didn't know you mean now now. If I had know, I wouldn't take your reservation.' ?!?!?!?!?! If now does not equate to now, tell me when is now? And please la.... Will it make any difference if we were to walk in 15 minutes later???'

Year after year, we faced the same trauma and I turned 33!

I never really had a thing for celebrating birthdays. Of course, my parents celebrated our birthdays. Since my brother and I shared the same birthdate (not year), our parents always did a joint birthday celebration for us when we were younger. As we grew up, I just grew out of celebrating birthday. Maybe I was shy. Maybe I felt inferior when I was growing up. I just wanted zero attention on myself.

The strange thing is... As I grew older, I grew the thing for celebrating my birthday. I am still not into throwing party for my birthday but I am starting to love to commit this ONE special day to just myself. I will just indulge myself for just one day to whatever that I feel like doing. It can be simple affair like not having to worry about the kids, work, housework,  anything, anyone. It is a superb feeling when I can have total control over this ONE day. I allow myself to sleep in late like nobody's business or go drinking till or just planning an impromptu to JB for a massage. Totally in love with my birthday. I guess this compensates for growing old.

Following last year's happening where I got dead drunk within 2 hours, they celebrated my birthday again this year. I am very glad that they made the effort to be available on that night to spend the birthday with me, not forgetting the expensive 3-in-1 Ferragamo wallet. :)

Strangely, they are all very mercy this year. No crazy drinking. I really felt happy drunk! Actually, I do love drinking and dancing a lot. Haha. It became a form of de-stress outlet a couple of years back.

So we went Magnum after dinner. Standard one. Dunno since when... we stopped going to normal clubs like Zouk la. It's either Sonar or another siam tiu. Seriously? But I was okay with going siam tiu la. My preference is of course not siam tiu but only I (and Bec) happy, the rest not happy. It's my birthday la but it will be no fun if I am the only happy one. So we compromised. I can go any tiu except Allurez k. 

These guys have a lot of siam tiu lobangs so we managed to get a sofa seating at Magnum. Light drinking started and when Bec told me that the host will get me on stage to drink the Martell ah, I totally forgot that such a thing can happen on your birthday! Damn it! I wasn't expecting it and was not prepared nor willing to do it. It is a totally caught in between situation. On one hand, I seriously do not want to go on stage. On the other hand, the rest of them are very on. 

After some bargaining, I seriously thought the whole thing was called off. We continued the night with drinks and the tiny birthday cake. THEN!!! I heard my name! I remembered I turned around and asked Bec 'I thought it was called off???' Honestly... I still didn't want to go up but I knew there was no escape and I didn't want to waste everyone's time. In the end, I went with Yan and did a quick 5 seconds.

Yan 'ta' the other half for me. 

32 ended and 33 started on a good note. I had an awesome birthday card from my colleagues. I trust that they all meant it when they wrote that I am their prettiest colleague. Haha. My little sweethearts gave me cards, cake and my favourite bear as well, of course together with their daddy's effort. These happening people gave a happy night and a pretty and functional wallet.

Darl and I kickstarted my birthday with a trip to JB. We had the usual bah kut teh, massage, movie and lok lok. Everything was going great but the massage killed every happy cell in me. I pampered myself by going for a 1.5 hr body massage and 1 hr foot massage. Instead of feeling shiok, I felt pain throughout. Excruciating pain! No joke. The pain in my forearms lasted for another 6 hours before handicapping me for the next one week. So much from my massage enjoyment. :(

No comments: